Piece by member of a poetry group on FB.

 


I am black,
and I am proud!
I am black,
and I am proud.
Who will not be proud of
this priceless black pearl,
Of this gorgeous precious gem,
Of this glittering grace, a light so bright, even in the darkest night.
I am black
And I am proud.
Who will not be proud of
Negritude, the joy of being
A gem, a rare and costly gem.
Who will not be proud of a noble birth,
of purple blood, of the noble Nubia,
of the glorious Mali, of golden Ghana.
I salute you,
courageous Congo,
Noble Nile, gracious Orange
glorious Niger, lovely Limpopo,
Zealous Zambezi....
Greetings, our living waters
I am proud of you.
I am proud of Kilimanjaro,
Our man of war. I am proud
of our striking Suez Canal,
Where the world salutes
amiable Africa.
Africa is a unique Uranium,
the vaporous spirit, the quiet
volcano that no one can slight.
I am proud of our wonder
working brains, the joy of
Greatest citadels, also of your
wealthy weather, of our wind
that Is still sane.. our sane wind
That blows hope, that shows
That the world is not yet gone.
I am black
And I am proud.
I am proud of the mild wind
Of smiling Sahel and the joyful
heat of the striking Sahara,
of our cute desert cities, and the
Beauties within our beautiful seas.
And our other fields of apt jewels
and of all our arable fields, I
am proud of our rivers of gold..
I am proud of our fathers:
Of Nyerere, Azikiwe, Nkrumah,
of Kenyetta, Lumumba, Kaunda
Of Mandela, Salassie, Masa-musa,
Of all our mothers on whose back
Africa rejoice. Of all Africans!
The citizens of enviable Eden.
Who says our barns are empty?
Who says our lines will never meet?
In one noon soon our dots will meet.
And all these messy rain will cease.
And the true Africa will emerge.
I am black
And I am proud.

Comments